Did you know…
- South Africa is the top global producer of mohair, which is famous for both its quality and quantity.
- Port Elizabeth is know as the Mohair capital of the world as 95% of the world’s mohair passes through its ports.
- Mohair today is one of the world’s most exclusive natural fibres.
- Angora goats are categorized as follows :The male is know as a Ram, the female is called and Ewe, and the baby goat is called an Kid.
- The Angora goat is shorn every six months with either a hand or an electric clipper, and is not harmed in any way during the shearing process.
- The first shearing takes place at 6 months, this is the super fine and most expensive mohair available.
Mohair is renewable, natural resource.
Mohair is known worldwide as the “noble fibre” or “the diamond Fibre”.Its exclusive qualities-lustre, resilence and colour reflection-have been its success, and the South Africa mohair industry has grown into the global leader, producing the world’s best mohair.
Information supplied by MOHAIR South Africa. www.mohair.co.za